Monday, June 1, 2015

DIY Weathered Wood Stain

Here is a quick and easy stain recipe for that weathered, rustic look that is trending the world right now. It's super easy, super cheap, and looks great and takes little effort.


What you will need:

- Extra fine steel wool
- Vinegar (each type will produce a different color - I used distilled white vinegar)
- Glass jar with a metal lid (mason jars work best)

Break up pieces of the steel wool and place them in the glass jar, or put the entire spool in (like I did here). I can't give specific amounts because my steel wool came in a pack with a bunch of separate spools. I used one spool per jar. I poured the vinegar in the jar making sure to cover the steel wool and adding just a little bit more. Again, no specific measurements. Put the lid on LOOSELY. (I learned this the hard way... just recently actually. My steel wool wasn't dissolving, and I just stared at it like, "What the heck? Why is this crap not dissolving?" Well, I loosened the lid just thinking maybe it would help, and let it sit like that all day and BAM, it was dissolved and a dark grey/black color.) Shake it every so often, but make sure to tighten the lid first! After about 24 hours, you should be able to use it, but if you let it go longer, it wouldn't hurt it. Mine has been sitting in my garage for about 2 months and it's still perfectly fine.

The first time I did this, my steel wool did not dissolve completely in 24 hours, but it was able to still be used. I tested it on a scrap piece of board before using it on other projects... I definitely recommend this since it produces different colors depending on the vinegar type. Make sure to stain the wood before using this vinegar stain with dark, DARK tea or coffee. This gives the wood more tannin to react with. After all the stain has dried, lightly sand it to even out the stain color, and apply any type of sealant.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment