Sunday, January 24, 2016

All About Cosmetics // Mini-Series 1 of 3 "Nail Polish"

Today marks the day I begin my mini series dedicated to cosmetics. I will be sharing 3 mini posts about cosmetics: nail polish, makeup, and hair products. I will be explaining how to store your cosmetics, where to look for expiration dates (and when to throw things away if it doesn't have an expiration date), and the importance of keeping up with organizing, repurchasing, and purging your cosmetics. Today, will be all about NAIL POLISH! 

Below is a photo of how I store my nail polish. I used a similar tutorial like this to create my nail polish rack (it was super easy!). You can also purchase acrylic nail polish racks here - I just opted for the cheaper route since it was going to be hidden in our closet. Before I took this photo, every single shelf was FULL of nail polish, and I even had a few that were just balancing on the edge since there was no room for more. But then I sorted through all the polishes, got rid of more than half, and only chose the ones I would really, actually wear. I also got rid of ones that were expired, dried up, or almost gone. 

I always keep my polishes in rainbow order so I can see what colors I have (or don't have), starting with reds and going all the way to purples. I separate out the glitter polishes and the nudes, pinks, creams, and neutrals. All of the base coats, top coats, and cuticle oils are at the bottom. This is just what works for me, but I highly recommend this system. I also leave spaces for new polishes. I will only purchase a new polish if I know one will be running out in the near future, or if there is killer sale on my favorites. 


As for expiration dates, MOST cosmetics have an expiration date. In the photo below, you will see a little symbol in the bottom-right of the bottle of nail polish that looks like a jar with the lid off and a number inside. That is the expiration date. This one says "24M," so this nail polish is good for 24 months. I've only had this polish for about a year and half, so I'm going to hang on to it. I would recommend writing the date of purchase with a Sharpie on all your nail polishes so you know when to throw them away. Or keep a spreadsheet nearby with the dates of when you purchased each polish. Here is a good option.


Storing nail polishes this way is super easy, convenient, and good for the actual polish. They should be stored upright, and not laid down on their side. (And having them visible always motivates me to use them.)



Let me know how you store your nail polishes, or better yet, take a photo and post it in the comments below! Happy painting!!

 I will be explaining MAKEUP in the next mini post... so be sure to subscribe so you don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment