Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Storage In Tight Spaces

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a small vanity in the bathroom and not much room to store toiletries, hair products, and band-aids. Am I right? It always turns into a huge, cluttered, mess, which makes it hard to find anything. I had to come up with a cheap, quick fix to organize all of our things under there. Here is the before...


(Ignore the white drain pipe, and hosing, we can't really remove or change that, unfortunately). So because that pipe is right in the middle of cabinet, it makes it hard to put any type of storage in there. I mean, c'mon, seriously? If I could re-build our house, this is something I would change, but that's another post for another day. To complete this organization/DIY project you only need a few things that are really cheap to buy or you may have some of these already in your home that you aren't using. (I purchased all of these at Walmart a while ago)...


Once you have the sizes you want (and fit) of shelf organizers, its all a matter of applying the shelf liner to them to create a more sturdy base for products. The slots make it difficult - and quite annoying - when you have 3 different hairsprays on there. They always seem to fall over, so I like to create a more stable base.

First you want to turn over the shelf organizer and lay it on the liner:


No need to measure or draw lines (unless you want to). I just took my scissors and snipped a small section of where I needed to cut. Try not to have as much overhang as it shows in the picture above. I kept the liner pretty much on the perimeter of the wire stand and that's it. You want cut TWO of these because you want to put one on the top and then one on the underside.

Apply the first liner to the top of the shelf organizer:


Just push gently so it adheres.

Next, turn it over and apply the second, cut liner:


This one you might want to push a little harder so it sticks to the top liner. Don't worry what it looks like. No one will see the underside. It's merely for sturdiness.

Once you have covered both sides, you are finished!



See, extremely simple, yet very useful while sprucing up the underneath of your bathroom sink. Here are the ones I covered:


Here is the finished project...



So much easier to look at and find what I need. I just filled the baskets with similar products and set them on the shelf organizers. Starting from the top-left and going clockwise, hair products, mouthwash and nail polish remover, contact solution and alcohol, little tubes of medicine, female hygiene products, band-aids, ointments, and finally baby powder and misc.

This has really been one of the easiest projects I've done so to organize such a small space. It really helps my morning routine also, since I don't have to search and search for what I need.

Here's a before and after:


Let me know if you do this project or something similar. Post your before-and-afters too! I'd love to take a look at them. You can also post them on twitter at #theyellowbarn. I hope you have a wonderful week, and I would like to wish a Happy Veteran's Day to all of our men and women who protect this country and our freedoms. You are our true heroes!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Love putting the paper on the shelves so products don't fall through! :)

    ReplyDelete