Sunday, November 30, 2014

Christmas 2014 - Pinterest Projects Galore

It's here. It's finally here. We got through Thanksgiving, survived Black Friday, gearing up for Cyber Monday, and decorating for Christmas Day. I can't believe where the time has gone. It seems like yesterday I was decorating for Christmas 2013. I just can't comprehend where the time goes. *Slow down, time, slow down* So in our household, we don't do anything Christmas-wise (except shopping) until after Thanksgiving. We don't believe in it. We never have. If that's what you and your family does, that's totally fine, just not what we do in our neck of the woods. We like to take the time during Thanksgiving and really be thankful for what we have, and focus on only that. Then, afterwards, we get started for Christmas. Our tradition - or my tradition, rather - is to set up the tree the day after Thanksgiving. I have for the last 5 or 6 years of being on my own, so it's just something I want to keep up with. Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday and time of the year. And YES, I do love winter and snow! (I know, I'm crazy. Maybe I should just move to Colorado or something. Yes. Colorado!) I think my love for Christmas came from my grandmother (my mom's mom). She loved Christmas too. She always had the best Christmas decorations... and gave the best presents - ahem! (But we all know that's not what Christmas is truly about.) I loved going over to her house and spending time with her. I really do miss her - it's been almost 10 years since she's passed, so I guess in my own little way, I feel like when I celebrate Christmas by decorating, cooking, baking, wrapping, writing, etc., I make her come alive again for a few short weeks. (Is that weird? Maybe it is, but that's how I feel.) Ok, on to our Christmas-decorated house. And like the title suggests, I completed a TON of Pinterest projects for this year's theme. I will give the links, I promise! Our theme this year, because I do have to have a theme every year - did I mention I have problems with control? - is rustic and simple. I tried to keep things very simple and traditional, but rustic and outdoorsy at the same time. (DISCLAIMER: My house is a work in progress, even though we did build it. I have a few things I would like to change, especially the furniture, so bare with me on that aspect) Here is an overview of our living room...


Here are a few of the detail shots of the tree, with the corresponding Pinterest links I have...


I used 2 types of burlap. I think the 2 types give it more texture and design (I personally love the snowflake burlap the best!) The snowflake burlap is from our local Meijer superstore, and the regular burlap I purchased from Hobby Lobby, as well as the berry filler stems. The red and green ornaments were purchased at Meijer, and the reindeer ornaments were purchased at Target.


The pinecone ornaments are my own take on these. I LOVE this idea, and it was super affordable.



This ornament was a project we did last year for presents for all the grandmas and grandpas, from Riley. Here is the post that inspired this treasurable gift. (This ornament was my grandmother's (my dad's mom), she passed away a few months ago, and I definitely didn't want this thrown away. Snatched it up right away!) My only advice for this project is to use plastic ornaments. The glass ornaments are colored differently than the plastic ones, so the color of the ornament bled through the white paint and turned it all pink by the time it dried. We had to do all them over again. UGH! But I like the way these turned out anyway.

And our star is what started the entire theme for this year. It's from Target...


Here's our TV cabinet and stockings (Nope, no fireplace in this house. Something we had to forgo to be able to include other things - you know, budget, budget, budget)...



Here are a few close-ups...


Not sure where these are from, I got them so long ago.


My dad got this nativity set for us a few Christmas's back, so I'm not sure where it's from. I also have a Lenox nativity set that was my grandmother's, the one I mentioned in the beginning of this post, and I treasure it so dearly. I will only put that one out in our basement, but since the basement isn't finished yet, it stays safe in its box for the meantime. It's absolutely beautiful though. Just take my word for it. :)

Here's a little purchase I made this year for our theme from Hobby Lobby. There's another one of these somewhere in this post...


Of course we have to set up and set out the milk-cup and cookies-plate for Santa! (This used to be mine and my sister's.)


And then I just added a few small touches around the rest of the house. So here is an overview of our kitchen at the moment...


Just a couple, cute, traditional candle holders...


The Charlie Brown tree is a MUST!


And here we have the other tree. The urn was purchased from Hobby Lobby as well...


I even decided to change up the design of our monogram on the chalkboard wall in the kitchen. This post on Pinterest is what I followed to create my own look... (yes, all freehand)


Here's what I added below the cork board...


And last, but certainly not least, the outside of our home...


I still need to change out the rug for Christmas, I just haven't found one I liked yet. The planters next to the door will have something in them soon... DIY-blog-post-worthy, so keep checking back!!

Here is the wreath. So simple, and so pretty. Burlap was purchased from Joann Fabrics. Wreath is from Hobby Lobby.



So as the holiday season approaches, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time decorating a tree, baking cookies, sipping hot chocolate, or just spending time together. Take the time to do something nice for someone else this year, it will really make a difference. Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment