Friday, January 23, 2015

The Many Uses of Mason Jars

Mason Jars... where do I begin? 


There are so many things to do, to use, to create with mason jars, besides using them for only your typical canning. First of all, let's talk a little about the history. They were first introduced by a guy named, John L. Mason, who was a tinsmith from Philadelphia. He later moved to New York to obtain his first patent. Ball mason jars are actually produced in Muncie, Indiana by the Frank C. Ball mason fruit jar manufacturer. (Yep, here in Indiana!) The Ball mason jar logo has changed 7 times over the course of 130 years, with the first logo dating all the way back to 1885. (Wowzers!) The jars were first introduced for fruit preserving or canning jellies and jams, but are used for far more interesting things now. The best thing about them nowadays are how inexpensive they are. I bought a 12-pack for around $8. The ones I picked up were the 12 oz, clear jars, with the typical 2-piece lids. There are many different options as well. Different colors, different sizes, different lid options. The ideas are endless.


So for the first thing I use mason jars for is food storage. Glass is 100% healthier than storing your foods in a plastic container. There have been articles stating that food that is stored in plastic tupperware, then heated in a microwave, leads to leaching gases and chemicals into your food. Not healthy at all. So I've decided that I want to switch out my Tupperware for glass - over time. It might take a year to do so, but that's one of my goals. Mason jars do not have BPA in them, and you don't have to worry about any other chemicals leaching into your food and drinks. It's simply glass and a metal lid. I store my washed berries in them. It's convenient because I can see what's in the jar and how much is left. Plus it stacks nicely in a fridge - if you're anything like me, then you have a panic attack if things aren't orderly in that thing, am I right?



I also store candy in mason jars as well. It keeps the candy fresher since they seal air out completely.


Another great use of mason jars is using them as drinking glasses. Again, glass is better for you because of the reasons I mentioned above. So I just pop the middle part of the lid out and insert a straw (a paper straw, not plastic) and voila!



Seriously, how cute is this straw?

To transform mason jars into decor, all you need is some acrylic paint. Seriously, how easy? I opted to paint the inside of the jars for this project. Make sure you let the paint dry AND cure for the recommended time on the bottle - learn from my mistakes! Haha.



But, you can also apply the paint to the outside and take sandpaper and rough up the edges for a more rustic look. (I might do this also). I just put some [fake] hydrangeas in them. Put whatever you want in them though... pencils, makeup brushes, straws, q-tips, cotton balls, etc.



Another awesome idea for mason jars, is to use them for bathroom storage - a hand soap dispenser and a toothbrush holder. The easiest way to do this is to purchase the Loew Cornell TransformMason jar kits. I bought all of mine at Hobby Lobby, but I've seen them at Wal-mart, and you can always order them online. All you need to do is follow the instructions that come with the kits. That easy... AND you can paint it to match your bathroom decor.


           
{via}                                                                 {via}




One of my favorite ways to use mason jars is to insert a tea light candle in the jar and you have some rustic-style romantic lighting for anywhere in your home. I added some Epsom salt to hold the light in place (and these are flame-less candles). 




You can also add a wire handle/hanger to hang on the front porch or in backyard trees as lanterns. Or do what I did, and grab one of the wire handle Loew Cornell TransformMason jar kits. They make beautiful and inexpensive lanterns.


{via}




Here is a lantern hanging up outside (we don't have trees at our house right now, since we just built our house in 2013, but landscaping is one of our plans for this year, yay!)


So, my love for mason jars has grown even more since beginning this post. I love the simplicity of them, the design, the rustic feel, and the history - that's my favorite part. It reminds me of my Grandparents. Here are a few mason jars I grabbed out of my Grandma's basement after she passed away last year. I HAD to have a few. They mean so much to me, and that blue tint - to. die. for. 




I really hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. If you liked it, please don't forget to subscribe with your email address so that you can keep updated. (The "Subscribe" button over there on the right). Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment